Lovely tour across perfect meadow slopes - only a slight slog to the main summit. Good alternative to Steinbergstein and Lodron.
From Gasthaus Steinberg follow the road into the valley until you come to a meadow (goods cable car). At the end of the meadow bear left across a bridge. On the other side of the stream climb up the road briefly until you come to lovely open areas. Climb again from there until you come to a steep forested section. Take a right here close to a ditch, go through the forest for a bit and then bear left, heading up to the alpine inn.
At the inn the steep slope takes you up to Scheibenschlag Niederalm. Behind the inn pass a water pool and cross a steep section of forest. Right after a narrow section head straight up to the ridge until you come to the crest. From here it is mostly downhill. The route to the summit - briefly head down into an enclosed basin and then go around a rocky peak to the right, after this the summit of the Gerstinger Joch emerges. Ascend via the ridge.
- Gerstinger Joch 2035 metres
- Summit descent 1945 metres
- Altitude difference 1073 m
- Walking time approx. 4 hours
- Unteren Lärchenbergalm building with alpine literary man, Sepp Kahn
- Panoramic view from the Lodron (Hohe Tauern, Zilertaler Alps, Karwendel, Rofan, Wilder Kaiser
- Sea of alpine roses, gentle streams which cross the route
- Old alpine buildings (100 years old) on various alpine pastures
Gasthaus Steinberg Fam. Michael Grafl Hinterwindau 54 A-6363 Westendorf